“Sisters’ Sisters” activities foster faith and friendship
Our Province headquarters shares a wall with Divine Savior Holy Angels High School (DSHA) on 100th Street in Milwaukee, but there are much stronger connections between the Salvatorian Sisters and the all-girls high school we sponsor.
One is the student-led, grass-roots connection known as “Sisters’ Sisters” that just completed its third year. Throughout the school year, Sister’ Sisters activities range from hands-on craft projects to juice-and-cookie gatherings in the Campus Ministry office. They’re all designed to give the students opportunities to get to know the sisters and better appreciate their role as religious sponsor of DSHA.
While Sisters of the Divine Savior no longer teach or administer at DSHA, our sponsorship relationship places two of our members on DSHA’s Board of Directors. During the school’s latest capital campaign, sponsorship coordinator Sr. Grace Mary Croft, and our vocation director Sr. Mary Lee Grady served on the planning committee for Mother of Our Savior Chapel, which was dedicated in 2016.
There are other ways the sisters maintain a visible presence at the school. They often attend school liturgies and offer special blessings at student assemblies throughout the school year. Receiving blessings from the sisters reminds the student body that the Salvatorian mission and core values still serve as the foundation for academic and extracurricular programs at DSHA. Our annual Salvatorian Sisters’ Service Award to graduating seniors reinforces that relationship too. The award recognizes students for extraordinary service to vulnerable people during their four years at DSHA. We established the award in 1988 to commemorate our 1888 founding centennial.